Prior to the first practice for participation in interscholastic athletics in a middle school or high school, a student shall undergo a thorough medical examination and be approved for interscholastic athletic competition by a medical authority licensed to perform a physical examination. The athletic director must have a copy of this physical examination on file prior to any participation.
The physical examination must include, but is not necessarily limited to:
- Documentation of a detailed review of the student’s medical history with special attention to presence or absence of cardiovascular/pulmonary risks and/or previous significant injury or rehabilitation.
- Documentation of satisfactory examination of the cardiopulmonary system.
- Documentation of satisfactory sport-specific orthopedic screening examination.
- A written statement by the examiner as to the fitness of the student to undertake the proposed athletic participation, with suggestion for activity modification if necessary.
Those licensed to perform physical examinations include MD, Doctor of Osteopathy DO, Certified registered Nurse (ARNP), Physicians Assistant (PA), and Naturopathic Physicians.
The school in which this student is enrolled must have on file a statement (or prepared form) form a medical authority licensed to give a physical examination, certifying that the participant’s physical condition is adequate for the activity or activities in which the student wishes to participate.
To resume participation following an illness and/or injury serious enough to require medical care, a participating student must present to the school officials one of the following:
- A physician’s written release
- Written release from the Life Christian School/Academy Athletic Trainer
The physical examination shall be valid for thirteen (13) consecutive months unless otherwise limited to (12), months by local school district policy.
For each subsequent thirteen-month period, the student shall furnish a statement or physical examination form signed by a medical authority licensed to perform a physical examination that provides clearance for continued athletic participation.